Rempah Noodles (Revisit)

 

I completed a work contract yesterday and went back to the office in Wanchai for an interview and test today. The appointment was set at 2pm. Let's see what I can eat during the non-peak hour. Taiwanese? Trois Cafe which I had a fabulous lunch a few days ago? At the end, Rempah Noodles came to my mind. It is possible to have a seat at the previous two restaurants without too much waiting at lunch time during the pandemic. Rempah?  There was already a queue prior to 12 pm when I visited the first time.

Rempah only offers 3 noodles: prawn noodles, nonya laksa lemak   叻沙 and dry laksa. I had nonya laksa lemak last time. It was fabulous. So my struggle this time should be between the prawn noodles and dry laksa. I went for the prawn noodles. But it was sold out. So, dry laksa became the dish of my day.

The presentation was beautiful. Prawns stood out! The half egg seasoned with herbs! Shredded chicken and fish cakes all enriched the noodle bowl. Most of the ingredients are also present in nonya laksa lemak. But the dry version is served with a thick, rich and flavourful gravy. Once I tossed the sauce and ingredients, smoke emerged and silver needle rice noodle 銀針粉 seen. What a surprise! For me, the silver needle rice noodle is very Chinese. One can eat it in local restaurants or cook it at home but it will not be expected in a Singaporean or Malaysian restaurant. The noodle dish was very delicious. I was happy and smiled from the heart.

I was satisfied. But my heart told me that I could attempt the kaya toast as dessert.  A rich smell pandan filled the atmosphere when it was brought to me. The pandan-scented coconut jam was a bit cold. I like the contrast with the slightly toasted bread, cool vs. warm, soft vs. crisp. And it was not too sweet. Just right. 


I am already thinking when I should visit Rempah Noodles for its prawn noodle. Well, soon, I hope. Or 9 months after, when I need to attend another interview in the area.


Comments