MUGS Cuttlefish Master 神廚館-墨東東


I watched TV (尋便當 ) one weekend when I was doing stepping. It was a Singapore program but that episode showed Hong Kong food.  The first was about BBQ meat on the Hong Kong Island. One restaurant left an impression.  It is called Chef God Kitchen 神廚館. Mum improved the previous restaurant boss' recipe.  She had passion to perfect it and serve guests. Her daughter helped her mum to fulfil her wish. The restaurant attracted guests with its unique cuttlefish rice 墨魚餅飯.  It's love driving the restaurant which drew me to visit it.

I followed the address published at Open Rice in Tai Kok Tsui.  But the name has changed. Fortunately I could reach the restaurant with the phone number.  It has moved to a place nearby, at 61 Tai Kok Tsui Road and called MUGS Cuttlefish Master.


It provides food with cuttlefish but not versatile as reported previously.  Nowadays, cuttlefish alone or mixed with seafood for amazing burgers. The place is very small, a few tables only. The running model is order, pay and eat or take away.  I ordered the signature dish, cuttlefish dotted with seaweed, a sunny egg and rice. I was advised to spray homemade sweet soy sauce. It was delicious! The cuttlefish cake was piping hot. I had to wait and started with piercing the sunny egg, let the egg yolk throw into the rice. Back to taste the cuttlefish cake.  It is bouncy, fresh and tasty!


During the meal, I heard a woman talking to her child. Though she was busy but her voice was calm. She was patient to instruct her child where the stuff should be put. At one time, she was close to me. I started to talk with her a bit, asked about the move. They were mother and daughter working in an area over 1,000 square feet. It is difficult to recruit workers, manage such a big place and numerous dishes. So, they decided to move to a smaller place, changed from diversified dishes and centring on cuttlefish which her mother perfect the production by hand. Some diners are quite mean of giving comments.  But if you know the story behind, you won't be so malicious to pick up shortcomings. For me, it is a hearty restaurant loyal to what they do best and stand there to serve guests good food.


Cuttlefish rice /bento continues to draw old and new customers.  At time, loyal customers said it's so difficult to get a seat, tried new dishes, revisited the place.  I hope I will come another time as Tai Kok Tsui 大角咀 is not my usual visiting area, neither working nor shopping place.





Comments