Yuen is Here 阿元來了


I learnt about Yuen's Here 阿元來了 from a local TV food and drink show.  It is a small Taiwanese restaurant in Sai Ying Poon, a residential area west of Central, nearby the Hong Kong University. Normally, I do not go to that area.  But it's on a day which MTR offered child fare for adults.  OK, why not take this chance to go somewhere far and I am rarely there.



Though I was not familiar with the western district, Yuen's Here was not too difficult to find.   It is a tiny restaurant with a long queue. Luckily one person is never too difficult to get a seat.  I was waiting for a few minutes, needed to pre-order my food: braised pork on rice and oyster omelet.  They are very typical snacks in Taiwan.


Both dishes arrived to my tiny table in less tan 5 minutes.  The braised pork on rice here is different from all restaurant I ever ordered this dish.  The pork was not minced but in a chunky form relative to the others.   Very intensive and nice soy flavour mixed with spices, the Chinese way.  Though the pork was a bit fat, all went to my stomach.  OK OK, I seldom put the awful lot of fat pork in my mouth.  But it's tender and the taste was very good.


Eating simultaneously was the oyster omelette.   It's cooked with oyster, vegetable, egg and flour.   It's a bit gooey, soft and strong with fresh oyster.

The disvantage was two dishes served at the same time.  One got cold while I was eating the other.  No way out.  It is written on the wall that dining is limited to 30 minutes.   The rent in Hong Kong is too high


A slow stroll followed after this sumptuous lunch.  Streets nearby were full of new restaurants. Western cuisine was more common.  Many people were enjoying food here and there.  A completely different scene versus the old days.  Luckily old buildings still exist.   And I prefer the old stuff.


Randomly I arrived at Yuen Kee Desser源記甜品專家.  It has been in business since 1855.  Wow! Its famous sweet soup includes almond, walnut sweet soup.  I was told that the lotus seed is the must have.  Yes, it was good.




People come and go, for its offering and the memory.  I guess many people live in the neighbourhood, many others might study at the Hong Kong University years ago and came back for the memories on and off.   Oh well, I did not study here and it was my second time here in the last decades.


Comments