Ka Na Da Ya 金田家


It was a rainy day.  I had a meeting in Causeway Bay and a chance to look for good food in the surrounding.     A quick search at Open Rice: Kanada-ya Ramen, just a few steps from the most popular Bao  Ramen which  the queue can be hundreds of metre long.  But it was not even full.   It's a golden chance to eat at it again but I opt to try new stuff.  Kanada-ya was the destination this time.


Kanada-ya offered 5 choices of ramen.  A waitress explained the differences patiently.  Original ($78), Supreme ($98) and Chicken & Pork Stock ($83) are the most popular.  She mentioned that the pork in the Supreme version is from the shoulder. It is lean and melt in mouth.  I was a bit skeptical.  The chicken and pork mixed soup results in a plainer taste of the ramen.  Spicy option ($(93) is not my choice.  I picked the one with black garlic with a little bit of spice.

When my ramen was served, the fragrance rushed to delight me.  The coating of soup onto the ramen was good.  It let the taste of the soup incorporating into the ramen.  The bowl was full of fungus, sort of spring onion (but more pungent), adding flavour and freshness to the noodle.  Four blazer-thin pork slices served.  They tasted good but the portion was really small.


I like the runny egg cooked the Japanese way.  To have it, additional $12 please.  OK.  It was served in the soup.  But it did not get cooked or solidified.  I carefully cut the egg white.  It was still runny inside. Very eggy and nice!  The one at Bao was served separately.  I could taste the rich aroma of mixing spices.  And it was cold.  I can't say which one I like more.


It is very easy to notice the prizes it won in different years.  I am not a ramen expert and cannot tell if it is excellent.  It's good.  I like it.  The portion was a bit small.  You may need afternoon tea two hours later.



Comments