Taste of Yunnan 雲南風味


It's a trip to Shamshuipo to repair my mother's Tissot watch which I bought for her in 1991. It happened to be lunch time.  This little place, Taste of Yunnan (雲南風味), was recommended by the watch repair master and turned out to be very impressive.


The restaurant is a small but full of people.  To slip in one person was easy but don't expect to occupy your seat for long as people kept flowing in.  For HK$33 you could have 3 choices of food plus the Yunnan rice noodle.  Beware that the 'hot and sour spice' or 'Zhajiang' is counted as one choice of food.  Both added taste. The latter is a thick yummy sauce with minced pork.


I took fish ball, chicken and pork belly with noodle.  The clear broth was very tasty.  It was not heavy and no MSG added.  The chicken was sort of thin slices in white colour.  It seemed very lean and surprisingly tender.  This was really unexpected.   The fish balls were springy.  But the pork belly was quite bland. During the time I was eating, I saw many people order eel.  It looked yummy.  This will be my next target.

The restaurant also serves gas pot chicken 氣鍋雞.  Quite tempting as well.


This is a place for the local people in the area.  Food served is very good value of money.  HK$30 for two choices and HK$33 for 3 choices of food with noodle.   Another Yunnan noodle chain with two choices of food cost around HK$40.   Waitress were friendly too.


10 days later I revisited the little restaurant and tried the eel, pork liver and bean curd sheet.  It was good.  Pork skin was included in the eel serving.  So the portion of eel is reduced.  The spice of the eel was OK.  I like the bean curd sheet too.  I prefer the clear broth version up  to now before I tried the sour and spicy version. Eel is more expensive.  Today I paid HKD36 instead of HKD33.  Insignificant difference but just let you know.


Comments