Butao Ramen, 豚王拉麵 (沙田)


I was browsing TV in Shatin and spot Butao Ramen from the restaurant directory has opened in the New Town Plaza Mall.   Surprised!   It is a popular ramen noodle shop, started from the first shop in Central just with limited seats and has gradually expanded its presence to be in Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui and now Shatin.   Let's see if I could get a seat.

Oops, nobody is queuing up!  It was after 8.30pm, on a Monday night.  That's why. It is located in the corner facing the street and the bus station, next to 鼎泰豐. Have a look of the menu first!   It sells 4 colours of noodle: original taste (my choice at time, cooked in pork soup braised for more than 10 hours), black, red and green.
The black on is made from Japanese black paste, mixed with vegetables and pork.  All cooked for hours to deliver its unique
flavor.   The red denotes spice, not my choice obviously.   The green one is basil, cheese and olive oil.  Sounds interesting but I opt for the original, the plain one to check out if it is really good.


What do I rate the noodle?  The soup was thick and condensed.  It's like a bowl of collagen, lightly glued.  The flavor was strong per my order.   The noodle has got the flavor of the soup.  For the pork, I chose the shoulder rather than the tummy.  It was sliced very thin, tender and yummy.   A very good impression.


It gave me confidence to try out more.  As I did not know if I would be lucky to get a seat without waiting the next time I hunger for another noodle, I decided to go for the onsen tamago (egg).  It arrived with an very ordinary look, a bit grey.   It was soaked in soy sauce and other ingredients. 


I carefully sliced it, not wanting to damage the yolk.  It remained intact. The first bite was egg yolk and half of the egg white.  The soy sauce slowly permeated and filled my mouth, mixed with the creamy white and the wonderfully tasted yolk.  Superb!



That's my first experience with Butao Ramen.  It's good and I'll return.


Shop 167, New Town Plaza, Shatin
沙田新城市廣場第一期L1,167號舖



Comments