Ho Hak Shandong, 好客山東

18 May 2014


It was a while ago (Dec 2013) that I read from Li Chunen 李純恩 about this place for dumplings and a few fantastic dishes.    Until today, I had a chance to visit the restaurant, Ho Hak Shandong (好客山東).   It means welcome, generous host Shandong.

No question asked.   Dumpling is the first choice.  I ordered mixed celery beef and lamb dumplings.    Both were superb.   The pastry of dumplings use to be very thick.  But those served here were optimal.   Very fresh.   The moment I bit into the celery beef dumpling, the image of celery pop up and so did the lamb.   


They tasted good without any vinegar or chili sauce.   Inside was very juicy. Here serves the best dumplings in Hong Kong.  Check it out and see if you will agree.

I was very curious to try more, but one person is difficult to have many dishes.   Well, I took the spicy sour soup.  Very good price, hearty and filling, cost HKD18 only.  Yeah!  It was full of tofu, mushroom and vege.   Yummy! Other dishes recommended by Li Chunen include pan fried potato stripes & omelette with vegetables (香椿炒蛋).

I saw a couple having a cold appetizer, 涼伴白菜心 chilled vegetables, a hill of white cabbage,  look fresh and nice. It indeed enhanced the appetite.


As its name, the staff was very friendly staff and spoke very good Cantonese.  They were very attentive.  One spot that I was looking for a sauce plate to put vinegar and chili sauce and a waitress served it within seconds.  Very nice!


It was a lucky find.   The restaurant closed two Sundays each month.   For May, the closing time was last and next Sunday, 11th and 25th May.

13 Jan 2015


Another visit after almost 8 months.   Just one order: spare rib noodle.   I did not expect 'wow' but I had to give it a like.   It's a big portion, much meat.  The soup has got the sweetness from meat and the noodle incorporated the taste from the soup.  Very nice!  The ribs were soft.  Two pair of couples alternated whilst I was there.  One Hong Kong couple had leek fried mutton rice, cucumber slices and fried pork with green paprika.   They enjoyed them so much.  Then came a Mandarin speaking woman with a Caucasian.  Their order was full of mutton.  Twice mutton dumplings, leek fried mutton, vegetables.  Well, I must try the mutton next time.  The restaurant was full.  Guests were in and out endlessly.

10 Feb 2015


In less than a month I revisited this restaurant and tried the leek fried mutton rice.  Wow, it was very very good.  A simple dish full of flavours.   Love it! 

7 May 2019


Time flies! I can't believe that it has been more than 4 years that I haven't been back to Ho Hak Shandong. I was nearby, pop into one restaurant but chose not to eat there but back to this Shandong place. I ordered noodle with gravy Lu Mian 大鹵麵. It is noodle with black fungus, sliced pork, tomato and egg. It was very nice. A light soup mingled with flavours of different ingredients. The pork slices were tender. Food in the big bowl was totally gone.


Ho Hak Shandong  好客山東
17 Burd Street, Sheung Wan
2562 0185


Comments